Thursday, February 16, 2012

SAT Prep


It appears my vocabulary is increasing or at least my use of my vocabulary is increasing.  As a side note, I tutor two high schoolers 1x per week on a regular basis.  One of them is a Junior, thus the SAT prep.  Maybe this is where my increased verbiage is coming from.  The conversation went like this:

Me:  Sweetie, I had to move several things around in the shed today, so it's a little disheveled at the moment.

Sweetie:  Disheveled?  Is that even a word?

Me:  Yes, disheveled.  You know, it means unkempt.

Sweetie:  Unkempt?  I think you meant unkept.

Me:  Unkept?  Is that even a word?  No, I meant unkempt.  I'm pretty sure there's an "m" in there.

Sweetie:  No, it's unkept.  No "M"

Me:  Look it up then.  I'm pretty sure there's an "M"  At least that's how I pronounce it.  I obviously get that un-kept means "not kept" but I think the word here is unkempt.

Sweetie:  (looks up unkempt on handy i-phone and reads definition) Unkempt - having an untidy or disheveled appearance.

Me:  (just smiling)

No comments: