Sunday, September 30, 2012

Roots

Today was a day all about Roots.  Our house is mostly finished and so it was decided that today we'd go and get all of my grandparent's furniture that I had saved to fill up our new house.  We rented a large U-haul and drove to Nashville.  This trip was also timed so that we could attend the 73rd Boone Family Reunion.  I've been to this reunion many, many times before, but not since my grandmother died.

After packing up the furniture we headed to the cemetery to look at the graves before we went to the reunion.  First stop was my grandparents, WC  & Thelma Cooke.  We noted that their flowers needed replacing and the boys had fun playing with the tattered flags that were part of an arrangement from Memorial Day.  



Next, we found my grandmother's parent's grave.  Gilbert and Bettie.  I have memories of both of these people as they lived near my grandmother and when I'd visit her, I'd visit them too.


Then, my Dad thought it would be fun to try and find his father's father and mother and their daughter's graves.  This was a fairly large cemetery with my Dad only remembering the general direction of their graves, but we found them.  


Next, it was off to the reunion.  We had a great time and it was good to see everybody again.  Maverick is sitting on my grandmother's brother's wife's lap.  Brighton was a friend to everybody, and made friends with a woman who gave him cookies to take home.  Go figure!


No comments: