Friday, October 8, 2010

Favorite Thing Friday - Brighton Edition



My children both have lovies, and Brighton's is a giraffe. Chandler had this same type of lovey only his was a monkey. Shortly after Brighton was born we bought his giraffe, or giraffey as he is lovingly known. I can't even remember when Brighton first really attached to him, but he certainly did. Quickly scanning through pictures I was able to find this picture when Brighton was 16 months old. There he is, chewing on the nose of Giraffey. The nose was a favorite chew spot, as were the knots on the other ends of the blanket. As you can see in the picture the giraffe is a soft yellow color.

Fast forward to now and Brighton is almost two. Giraffey is a bedtime necessity. He is sometimes an everywhere necessity. It was easier when he was little because it could just stay in the crib, but now giraffey is mobile and goes for car rides, plays outside and sometimes gets left in the bathroom at preschool when mom doesn't realize that you have taken him inside while dropping your brother off and subsequently left him in the bathroom when you needed to go potty.

I guess I should mention we have two giraffes, but don't tell Brighton, or Chandler for that matter. The two are never seen together and one can suddenly appear when it's bedtime and only God knows where that thing is.

The problem herein lies in that giraffey is constantly chewed on and therefore constantly wet. I think it's becoming a health hazard. You are so lucky that you can't smell the loveliness through the computer. It's enough to knock you over.

He gets washed with every load, but by the time he is dry, the replacement already needs washing. I have tried EVERYTHING to get the stink out including, but not limited to white vinegar, oxyclean, baking soda, tide, and I'm sure there were some others. Straight out of the wash that thing STINKS!!

His poor little nose is suffering holes from the wear and tear that chewing brings. I try telling Brighton to just give him hugs and kisses, but that never lasts.

I decided that Giraffey needed a replacement so when the store I bought it from no longer carried it I did the next best thing and went E-bay shopping. The only problem is that all the giraffes I was finding were yellow. Mine was just natural cotton colored. Perhaps this was a new model or style I wondered. Then it dawned on me, the poor thing had been washed so much that all the yellow color was long gone! I ordered two and all was left was to make the swap.

I carefully took Giraffey out of Brighton's crib (where he still naps) and replaced it with the new one just waiting for Brighton to discover the new one. Chandler actually found it and brought it to me asking, "Mommy, why is Brighton's giraffe yellow?" I quickly thought of something and said, "why sweetie, mommy washed it and got all the dirt off and so now it's yellow". Chandler bought it, but would Brighton notice? By now he had entered the kitchen and Chandler handed him the replacement. He looked at me and said, "Giraffey?" (looking like is this really my giraffe?) I said, "yes, he's all clean now" and luckily, Brighton gave him a big hug and then started chewing on his nose.
So now we are on giraffe #3 and #4. Sadly, I had to throw #1 and #2 away. The smell was just too much and would have made all the "keepsakes" I'm saving just horrible. It was sad, but I hope #3 and #4 survive this stage and we don't end up with #5 and #6

No comments: