Friday, October 4, 2013

Take your Parents to School Day

Yesterday, Chandler was the "teacher" and we were the "students" on take your parents to school day.  Chandler was so excited to show us all that he is learning and frankly, I was glad to check it out as well.

Chandler has adjusted better to first grade than I have.  Derek takes him to school each morning since the carpool with 4 little ones is too much for me 2x a day!  At Chandler's school, carpool is for grades 1-8, so Kindergarten (and younger) are walked in (and picked up) by a parent.  There is much more interaction with the teachers, and frankly I miss that.  I feel so disconnected from Chandler's class this year :(  Also, since I'm not able to get there much for volunteering, that's not helping....

Back to Chandler's special day:


Here Chandler is showing Dad how to do some math.  Since this is a Montessori school, they do a lot of their work on the floor on rugs.  Chandler does have a desk arranged with 3 others students.  I know there is one other first grader, perhaps a second grader, and a third grader (maybe two) that sit with him.


Here, Chandler shows me how to do "metal insets"  This helps with many different things, and I think currently it is helping him with his cursive.  Yes, cursive in the 1st grade!  


Here's an angled shot of the classroom.  It doesn't show it all, but you get the idea.  Not at all like a "traditional" classroom.  It is so bright with the skylight above and the windows that line one wall.  There are so many different materials and manipulatives that the children are allowed to use.  I just love it!  Hopefully I'll be back soon.



No comments: