Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Jamison's Birth Story

So it was Chandler's 6th Birthday.  I did not sleep very well the night before because my arms kept falling asleep and I just couldn't get comfortable.  I got up before 6 a.m. and decided to go get doughnuts for breakfast as a special treat.  I also went into Harris Teeter and bought 10 juices because they were on sale B2G3.  I also picked up some fruit.  Chandler didn't have school that day, so after breakfast I packed lunches for everybody and we headed to the Durham L&S Museum.

Luckily we are members and since we got there at 9 a.m. we were able to stay one step ahead of the crowds.  A few of my friends checked in with me throughout the day and I kept telling them, no signs of baby and that I didn't think it would be today.

Fast forward to just after 4 p.m.

All of the boys (and I) were out playing in the yard.  I had been having contractions on and off this day, but had been for the last month, so this was not much different.  Some of them were stronger than previously, so I called Derek and asked if we could meet a little before 5 p.m. at Red Robin.  Chandler wanted to eat there for his birthday.  I loaded up the boys in the car and we headed to Red Robin.  Derek met us there at 4:50 and we were about to be seated when I decided that I should use the bathroom first.  After using the bathroom and noting that these contractions were maintaining their intensity, I informed Derek that staying for dinner was probably not a good idea.  I really was looking forward to my burger though!  I said I thought we should head to the midwives.  Derek asked if I was going to drive (remember, both of our cars are at Red Robin).  I think I said, "Hell No" and I guess that's when Derek thought I was serious.  

We all loaded into the van and proceeded to Chapel Hill.  Derek called the midwives, but it was after 5 p.m. by this point so they had to page the on-call midwife.  By the time she was able to call us back (we think they transposed a digit of Derek's phone number, tried our home phone, found my file, and then called my cell) we were only 20-25 minutes away.  The midwife (Sara) said we were going to beat her there!  Sara made some calls and made sure there was somebody there to let us in when we arrived.  Luckily there is a student midwife (Carey) who actually attended the birth and caught Jamison that lives nearby and was there when we arrived.  I did have Derek stop and buy some PowerAde since I didn't have any cold ones with me.  When we left for Red Robin earlier that afternoon I had no idea that we'd be driving straight to the birthing center!

We got to the birthing center and luckily, Diane, was not far behind us.  She was able to take the boys off our hands while my labor intensified.  They took all my vital signs and I had them check me to see how far along I was.  I was a good "6".  This is the least that I've ever been upon arrival, and honestly, I felt a little silly on the car-ride to the birth center because it felt like my labor could stop at any time and this could be a false alarm.  Good thing I trusted my gut.  I had Carey fill up the tub, and I was a little hesitant to get in because I've never "labored" in the tub...I've just got in and pushed the baby out.  I finally got in and didn't really like "laboring" since my legs were getting cramps.  I asked Carey to break my water (a first for me) and she did and said I was about a "7".  After what seemed like an hour (really only 11 minutes later) I was holding a baby in my arms!

Everybody was amazed at how big the baby was and of course were dying to know, Boy or Girl!?!?  Derek announced that we had another boy.  He sure had me fooled.  With the severe morning sickness this time, I would have bet it was a girl.  Obviously, I'm meant to have boys, and that's okay.  He fits just perfectly into our family :)

Carey had guessed the baby would be about 7.5 lbs.  Boy was everybody amazed when Jamison weighed in at 8 lbs 14 oz.  Almost NINE POUNDS!  

Chandler was very excited to meet his new baby brother.  What a special bond these two boys will have, sharing a birthday.  

So, I've had four boys, born in the same room, in the same tub.  Definitely a birth center record.  Carey is holding Jamison in this picture.  She is a student midwife and will be fully licensed after she completes her testing in May.  Sara is behind her in the black shirt. 

Jamison was born at 7:02 p.m. and you have to stay for four hours after the birth.  We were ready to leave shortly after 11 p.m., but Jamison spit up all over the car seat as soon as Derek put him in there.  We had to start over!  Then Jamison decided he needed to poop.  Needless to say, we left shortly after midnight and came home with our newest, precious, baby boy!

No comments: