Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th!

For the 2nd year in a row we were at home for the 4th of July.  

My friend, Jill let me know about this fun parade for kids in Wake Forest.  Basically kids decorate their bikes/wagons/scooters and walk in a parade through Wake Forest ending at a local playground.  It sounded like fun and something to do, so we decided to go.


The line up began at 10:00, with the parade starting at 10:30.  We got there early enough, but in hindsight it would have been better to park closer to the end of the parade route (not the beginning).  We'll know for next time...


Maverick rode his bike for about 1/4 of the time and then got in the wagon and so I had to carry it.  Luckily, it had no pedals and it pretty light.  We had also stopped and picked up some dum-dums for me to toss to the kids along the parade route.  That was definitely worth it.  I loved seeing the kids' faces light up as I would toss the candy out.


There was quite a crowd participating in the parade, but they did space out the groups, so it wasn't too bad.  I hadn't been in downtown Wake Forest in ages, and it brought back memories of going to my grandparents' house in Nashville (before 540 and 64 connected we'd drive through 98 in Wake Forest)


After the parade we treated the boys to snow cones and then watched a few tug-of-war games before heading home.  On a whim, I made this cake.  I thought it turned out pretty good and the boys loved it, which was the whole purpose in making it.


We put Jamison to bed like normal at 7:30 p.m. and for a treat, let the big 3 stay up watching a movie until it gets dark and then we'll light up some fireworks.  Yes, that's right, our kids all go to bed by 7:30 p.m.  Sometimes I feel like we are the only ones that do this, but I go to bed pretty early myself and Mommy and Daddy need some adult time :)

I'm sure the fireworks will be a hit!

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments: