Friday, June 10, 2011

Kittens!

You'll never believe what we found under the dog house last night......kittens!

If Derek had time to blog about this, I'm sure he'd make this post a lot funnier. I had actually called animal control on Tuesday of this week because we've seen a stray cat in our yard and it's driving Katie crazy. Animal control told me that it could be a week or more before they could come by with a trap. Okay, no problem.

Well, last night I was watering my tomato plants and Derek said he just saw the cat dart out from under the doghouse and climb the fence. I went over by the house to investigate and heard "meow, meow, meow". I immediately knew now why this cat had been hanging around so much. She was a mom cat and had a litter of kitten under our doghouse!

Now I'm thinking....should we leave some food out? As a fellow nursing mom I immediately felt compassion for this cat and all the energy it takes to nurse your babies. Derek thought it was hilarious that one moment I wanted animal control here and now I'm wanting to feed our unwanted guests. Long story short, Derek contacted a co-worker that is big into cat rescue and he found somebody willing to take this litter and bottle feed them every 2-3 hours!

It was quite the feat for Derek to reach the kittens. They were WAY under there!

Of course, the boys wanted to hold them. We estimated them to be about 1 week old due to their size and the fact their eyes weren't open yet. Chandler wanted to hold an orange one.
Derek ended up finding four kittens. One black, two orange, and one that was colored like the mother....black and tan. It's hard to see the coloring of that one, but it's the dark kitten on top of the orange one in the picture.
Brighton picked the black one to hold and shortly after that, Derek was off to meet the woman who would be caring for these little ones until they could find a new home.
It certainly was a crazy end to our week!

No comments: