Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Ow! My aching neck....and back....

I have been seeing a Chiropractor regularly since pregnancy # 2.  I've really only had my lower back (mainly my hips/pelvis) adjusted.  Unfortunately in the past few months, I've been having more and more pains in my upper back, shoulders, and neck.  The way that my insurance works is that there has to be a "reason" for the adjustments and pregnancy qualified.  Since I'm no longer pregnant, all these adjustments were coming out of pocket and when that gets pricey I was tending not to go as often as I should.  It had gotten to the point where I was in constant pain and having a lot of difficulty sleeping.  Basically I went in and said what will it take for my insurance to start covering this.  It was determined that I would need x-rays to prove that there was an underlying cause to all this pain.  Turns out there was some major issues going on.

By far, the worst area was my neck.  All the tiny arrows show wear/degeneration on bones that should be box shaped (not rounded like they are)  Also, the bones should be curving from my neck to my shoulder in a "backwards C" shape and they are almost doing the opposite of that!  There are also some bone spurs present that are going towards my spinal column.


The next image is of my upper back.  There is a slight curve in my spine seen here.  Not enough to be considered scoliosis, but troublesome still.  


Of course, carrying multiple children throughout the day isn't helping any.  I'm trying my best to be conscience of this and use good posture, etc.....

Hopefully with several adjustments I can get back on track and stay healthy.  My boys need me to be able to keep up with them!  I try and look on the bright side that this was caught now before it got much worse.  I hope to be feeling much better soon!

1 comment:

Jackie Johnston said...

So, how are you feeling now? I hope you had your neck adjusted soon after you got the x-ray result. It might worsen if you just brushed it off. As much as possible, do some simple stretches, like slowly turning your head around. Doing so might help loosen the tightening of the ligaments and such. At the very least, it should help prevent those sudden bursts of pain.

Jackie Johnston @ New Life Chiropractic