Thursday, February 13, 2014

More Snow?!?

We sure are getting our fair share of snow this year!

It started about lunchtime, on the 12th.  School was already cancelled for the day.  I actually went in to work for a few hours that morning.  I got home before the first flakes started falling.  

I turned on the news.  They were saying how quickly it was coming and once it fell, the roads were covered in 20-30 minutes.  I texted Derek to come home.

He joked it was no big deal (kidding) and packed up to leave shortly after 1 p.m. (along with the rest of Raleigh).  Needless to say, after 3 + hours in the car, he finally made it home.  
I tried to stifle my "I told you so's"  I was just glad he made it home and didn't have to abandon the car or walk.  We stayed inside the rest of the day and then began "playing" the next morning.

Here's Chandler posing:


There must have been 3-4" of snow before the ice came down.  It was very hard to walk in and slushy in place.  Really not the best for doing much in.  The sledding was okay, but not what we had hoped for.  The bottom of our driveway was a puddle of ice/slush.


We tried the Radio Flyer sled, but it just sank.


The boys had fun throwing snow at each other and cleaning off the cars.  
Then round # 2 of snow started up again.  

This is the kind of NC snow I'm used to.  Big, fat, fluffy flakes.  It was so pretty.  
Especially from inside.  

This picture doesn't do it justice.  It snowed very hard for a few hours.  It was really coming down!


The birds were going crazy at the feeder in the front yard all morning and afternoon long.  It was so cool to watch.  At one point there were easily 20 birds hanging out on the feeder, in the tree, or underneath.  Can you see the two male cardinals in the tree?


The birds had gone through almost the entire feeder, so I got some more food and trekked out there to refill it for them.  Did I mention my boots bit the dust?  I had some waterproof boots that I use for such occasions since I was in college.  Well after wondering why my feet were wet, I looked down to discover that not one, but both of my boots had cracked on the sides.  Those went in the trash, so now I have no snow shoes.  I guess I'll need another pair.  We aren't a snow-skiing family, so my outerwear for this type of weather is quite limited.  I wore two pairs of pants and at least I have a decent jacket.  Thankfully we have most things we need for our boys to keep them from getting soggy and cold.  

Who's ready for spring???  I AM!!

No comments: