Thursday, December 29, 2011

Children change your life

Me & Maverick 3/18/11
Growing up I always knew that I wanted to have kids.  I was a only child and didn't have the benefit of knowing beforehand what having a "large" family entailed.  Or having one child for that matter.  Children change your life and in ways I had no idea that they would.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) they have caused the end of many of my friendships.  There are so many questions that come up when you have children such as:

  1. Should you have children at all?
  2. How old should you be?
  3. How many should you have? and how many is "too" many?
  4. Where will you deliver your child?
  5. Should you circumcise?
  6. Will you breastfeed, bottle feed, or both?
  7. Will you co-sleep?
  8. Will you use attachment style parenting?
  9. Should you give up your career to stay home with your kid(s)?
  10. How will you discipline your children?
  11. How will you educate them?
Believe it or not, these questions have caused me to really evaluate who I remain friends with and apparently who remains friends with me.  When it comes to children it seems that people have VERY strong opinions, myself included.  Luckily, I have a wonderfully supportive husband who has very similar morals and values as I do and respects my decisions when it comes to our children.  

I never expected that the relationship that you have with a person pre-children would be so changed after children.  There are people that flat-out disagree with my choices as a mother.  Sometimes it is very hard to remain strong in your beliefs when others are pointing out so called flaws.  I know that I'm not alone in this.  I have God to help guide me on this journey all I need to do is ask for help.  I'm certainly asking!  Parenthood is hard work!  

Chandler turns FIVE next year and that is when he is eligible to start Kindergarten.  This is something that I never thought I would think about and pray about so much.  I thought it was a no-brainer.  Boy, was I wrong.  This has been the thing I've been praying about the most lately, asking for God to help guide me (and Derek) in the decision.  Where we stand right now is that we will apply to a few Charter schools or we will homeschool.  For this year that seems like the best "fit" for our family.

My prayer is that where Chandler ends up will be the best choice for all of us and that we will all make strong friendships with those that have similar values to our family.  We are looking for people to encourage us in this journey called life, not drag us down.

No comments: