Thursday, March 15, 2012

The $12, 7 Hour Cake


Behold, in my refrigerator sits the $12, 7 hour (roughly) cake.  Now I say $12 not because that's what the ingredients cost, but what I had to pay my "mother's helper" so I could even attempt to complete such a masterpiece during normal waking hours and take care of 3 kids.

This is my grandmother's wedding cake recipe and it's been a while since I made it.  I'm happy with how it came out, but I need to make some "notes" so that next time I have even better results.


  1. This is a wedding cake recipe.  Be sure to use at least 5-6 8" cake pans.  When you use only 4, like I did the cake will rise up so much and form a crispy, muffin-like top. 
  2. Allow the cream cheese to sit out longer before creaming it with the milk and pudding to get a smoother texture.  
  3. Do not make/refrigerate butter cream icing until you are ready to frost.
  4. Do not take any short-cuts like spraying the extra pan you grabbed at the last minute with Pam instead of greasing it, lining it with wax paper, re-greasing it, and then lightly flouring it.  The cake will stick to the bottom and you will be mad!
I'll have to take some more pictures to get a better view of the top.  There is a 4-Leaf clover on top that is made out of edible sugar paper.  I can't believe my baby will be one in only 3 days!

As a side note, please notice the small penguin at the bottom right corner.  There is a story to her and I'll have to post another time.  Luckily today is Thursday which means T-ball and dinner at Earth Fare because I'm exhausted.  The Birthday Boy has woken up early from his nap and is crying so my time is up!  Bye!

No comments: