Friday, March 2, 2012

Music to My Ears

We got our piano yesterday.  This piano was in my grandmother's house and it's the only piano I ever remember her having.  Apparently this was the last of many pianos that they owned.  I did not see her play it often, but occasionally around Christmastime.  I took a few lessons in college, but cannot play well at all.

Derek played as a child, and hopes to pick it back up.  That would be great.  He can then hopefully start our boys if they are interested until they surpass his knowledge and require a formal teacher.  Right now, I'm allowing the boys to play it with "gentle hands" and more importantly, clean hands.

**So I forgot to mention when I first typed this, that Chandler often says, "Let's join our hearts and our minds...." before he begins to play.  So sweet!  This is what our pastor says before we listen to the "centering piece" before worship service begins at church.


Based on the serial number, the piano dates to 1969.  Derek noticed writing (my grandmother's) on the keys on the inside of the piano.  It's hard to read in this picture, but to the far left it says "1st toning"  It could say "tuning" but the o/u is hard to distinguish.  Then there is the date "7/7/70"

The next key has "9/9/71" written on it.

There is no more writing.


So now I'm left wondering, has the piano not been tuned since 1971?  If so, why is that?  My grandmother was an excellent record keeper, leading me to believe that if she started this system of dating, she wouldn't have stopped.  When we have the piano tuned (after it acclimates to the house) I think I'll continue with her tradition of marking the keys.

Back to my thoughts....so if she only had the piano tuned twice, why was that?  When they bought the piano were two tunings included and so after that they stopped?  Was it not in their budget to have the piano tuned?  Did they think it didn't need it?  I do know that in later years, my grandmother would often say as I pecked out a tune with one finger....that piano really needs tuning, now doesn't it?

I hope this piano will bring our family many years of joy and "music to my ears"  Hopefully somebody will learn how to play it!

No comments: