Monday, June 25, 2012

Letters from Heaven


We got a letter in the mail either Friday or Saturday addressed to our family.  I've always enjoyed getting "real" mail and was eager to open up this letter.  There was no return address, only a PO box listed at the top left corner.  You know how when you see certain handwriting, you automatically know who the letter is from?  Well this was one of those cases.  Except the handwriting looked like my grandmother's.  Could this be a letter from heaven?

Although the letter wasn't from heaven, it was from a very special family.  A family that we have not known personally, but one who has touched our lives, not once, but now twice.  This family had a twelve year old son that lost his life to neurofibromatosis in 2006.  This was the same disease that Derek's brother, Sean had.  At the time, this family was attending our church and we felt compelled to make a donation in their son's memory.  Now, six years later, their daughter is fighting for her life and will need a liver transplant in order to survive.  I immediately mailed them a check.  It wasn't much, but I wanted them to know I was praying for them, and that we cared.  The family had a fundraiser this past Saturday to raise money for the liver transplant operation.  They surpassed their goal of $10,000.  I know that God took my family's gift and the many, many more gifts from the community and multiplied them.  God is the great provider.

Here is a link to the WRAL news story about this family.

Even though this letter wasn't from heaven, it served as a reminder for me to always think of others first and do what you can to help.  I'm sure my grandmother would be proud.

No comments: