Sunday, January 13, 2013

24 Hour Get-Away

Derek had to travel to NYC for a meeting/retail show from 1/11-1/17.  As part of my Christmas present I was able to join him for the weekend.  This is a big deal to me/us as this will probably be our last time away together for a very long time.  I was really looking forward to it, although I was still not feeling 100%  Unfortunately, our flight was CANCELLED for Friday night.  I could have cried!

I was so disappointed, but what could we do?  Nothing really, so we left on Saturday morning and got to NY shortly after 10 a.m.  Basically we took a taxi from the airport to the hotel where we had called and "checked in" the night before.  Turns out the room we had requested was not ready, but they did have a room ready for us.  Too bad it had only a queen bed.  There was NO WAY that for my 1-night away that me, the belly, and Derek were cramming into a queen bed.  I told them we'd wait until the original King suite was ready.

Derek had to then leave to go to the convention center to start working.  I tagged along as there was really nothing else I could do.  We were there for about 1 hour before we had to catch another taxi to Derek's next meeting.  We grabbed a quick lunch and then Derek went to a meeting.  Since it was cold, and I really wasn't in the mood for walking much, I walked to the nearby library to check it out.

Here's a statue (there were two) made of Legos.  Pretty neat.


The weather in NY was pretty dreary and cold, but at least it was in the 40's which is very warm there for this time of year.  The wind certainly had a bite to it though.  After the meeting, we walked back to the hotel and finally got a room.  We relaxed for a few hours before heading out to dinner.  Here's me in front of Radio City Music Hall.


Dinner was ok.  They were out of what we originally ordered, but the dessert I saved room for was very yummy.  I didn't care for the 150+ stairs that my 3 bathroom trips required me to climb though.  New York is definitely not the city for me!  After dinner was the best part of the trip, we got to see Wicked.  That was amazing!  Both Derek and I really enjoyed it.  It started at 8 p.m., so it was really past my bedtime when we made it back to the hotel.  I was exhausted.


The next day was Sunday and not much was open or going on until later in the morning.  We walked down to Macy's, but they didn't open until 11 a.m.  Derek had to leave for work at noon, so that didn't leave much time.  We decided to check out an aircraft carrier/museum that opened at 10 a.m.  It didn't cost us the $50 it would have to get in since we are members of the Durham Life & Science Museum, so that's really the only reason we went.  It was something to do, and some new, interesting things to see.  After another quick lunch, Derek headed in to work.  I hung around the hotel room for a few hours before heading to the airport and the flew home.

Too bad we didn't have more time, and more time together.  I was glad to be home and see the boys, but I'll be much happier when Derek is home too.

No comments: