Thursday, February 21, 2013

34 Week Checkup Ultrasound


So I had a check up with the midwives today and I saw Jewel, the midwife that caught Brighton.

It was nice to catch up with her, although I was constantly interrupted by Brighton, Maverick, or both.  Unfortunately, Derek had a meeting and couldn't come to this appointment.  I'm assuming that I was measuring "normal" but didn't bother to ask the exact measurement.  Brighton helped Jewel find the heartbeat with the doppler and he found it on the first try.  It was nice and strong.

Jewel and I mostly talked about family planning after this birth and what my options are.  At this point, I really don't have a clear plan, and luckily don't need one.  When people inquire as to if this will be my last pregnancy, all I can say is "probably".  I'm very non-commital at this point, but hopefully once this baby is born will get a feeling of completeness and can answer the question with more certainty.  Derek seems much more certain that this is the last baby, but hasn't made an appointment for a vasectomy :)

Jewel talked to me about placenta encapsulation and if it's something I would consider.  For those of you who have no idea what this is, basically it's consumption, in some form, of the placenta by the mother after the birth.  The idea of placenta sushi is completely gross to me, but I would consider it in other forms such as pills and/or teas.  There are many documented benefits to this including helping with anemia and also post-pardum depression.  It is also linked to better milk production in the mother and more energy.  From the little research I did, it seems cost-prohibitive at this point since it can be upwards of $200.

I was also treated to a very crude ultrasound that I recorded on our flip.  I can hardly tell what I'm looking at, but this does prove that the baby is head-down and ready to go.  My next appointment is in two weeks, and then it's every week after that until baby appears.

CAN'T WAIT!!


No comments: