Friday, July 15, 2011

Speed Dial # 9

Here's one of the last great pictures of me with my grandmother. This was taken in the summer of 2010 before my grandmother went to live in the mountains of NC with my aunt.

For those of you that don't know, my grandmother left for heaven on April 15th, 2011. Today marks 3 months since she's been gone. Her cell phone is still my speed dial # 9. I know it's silly that I haven't deleted it, but I haven't. Maybe I still like that reminder of her whenever I press 9. It's often, when I'm dialing a local number since I have to dial our area code (919).

I wonder what I would say to her if I could hold down # 9 and talk to her one last time. I guess I'd tell her how much I miss her and how much her being gone has been hard. She was my best friend and the first person I'd tell my exciting news to. I miss her great advice about anything you needed to know. I miss her witty humor. I miss her knowing what to say to me at just the right time.

Some days are harder than others. Most days I can hold back my tears. There are so many things that remind me of her and so many good memories that I have. I'm grateful for those. Usually throughout the day these things will happen and I'll want to tell her about them. It could be something silly the boys are doing, something new that I've cooked, or just what I'm up to.

I wish there was a direct line to heaven, until then I only have my dreams.

No comments: