Friday, August 2, 2013

Mom, Wife, Oh...and I'm Lindsay too.

Looking back through old pictures today.

Wow!  So much has changed in the 8 years since this picture:


Here Derek and I celebrating our first anniversary.  How young and naive we were.  

Too bad we hadn't heard of Dave Ramsey, or taken his class yet.  We would probably be in a better position (financially) than we are today.  Not saying where we are is that bad, but it could be better.  Certainly wouldn't have racked up credit card debt like we did.  Thankfully we have taken the class, and are on our way to being debt free.


Here's our class pic taken less than two weeks after Jamison was born.  We started the class with debt on four credit cards and I'm happy to report we have paid off all but one and closed the accounts.  We had bits and pieces of a financial plan in place and were doing some saving, but now we are truly living by our budget and that makes me happy.  Not to say that I wish we didn't have to budget, but that's the way things are right now, and with four growing boys will be that way for many years to come.  

Back to the title of my post.  As a mom, I know that I need to put things in this order:
1. God
2. Me
3. Husband
4. Kids

Unfortunately, shortly after this picture was taken in 2006...things changed!

Our 1st Ultrasound ever.
 Fast forward to now.  2013.  Four kids later.

Wow!  Things are hard for me.

I think my order right now is 
1. Kids
2. Husband
3. God
4. Me

Way out of whack!  Hopefully soon they will get back into the right order, but for now, I'm in survival mode.  Everybody needs me, seemingly endlessly, all the time.  I'm doing my best juggling all these "balls" in the air, but sometimes I drop them and things fall apart.  Like when Derek was gone for 8 days to Brazil, and I got sick, and it took almost two weeks to recover.  I'm just so worn-out.  I need a me break.  Unfortunately, many things have to happen for that to occur.  Like Jamison taking a bottle.  

Like I always tell myself...things will get easier and better.  For me, the first year (after having a baby) is the hardest.  The sleep deprivation, crying, nursing, and nap-schedules wear me out!  Thank goodness babies are so stinking cute because otherwise...well, I dunno.


So this is what I really need to work on for now.  I need to find peace with living in the present.  

It begins with me.


1 comment:

Brandi Walker said...

Congratulations on working the "Dave" Plan. It is so worth it! Living in the present is also hard for me to remember. For the record, I think your order looks very similar to many moms.