Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bedside Manner

Today was our followup visit to check on the status of Maverick's kidney. This time I hoped that the boys would be able to join us so they could see their baby brother. Our appointment was at Rex and Mimi, Grandma, and Nanny joined us and the boys. I was excited to be able to see Maverick in 3-D and of course make sure his kidney wouldn't require further treatment.

Unfortunately when I saw the technician that called my name, my heart sunk. It was the same B*tch that we saw when I was having bleeding early on in the pregnancy. I knew this appointment was off to a bad start. When I asked her if my family could join us in the room she rolled her eyes and asked, "well, how many of them are there?" This in comparison to the technician that had called the mother back just before me who graciously allowed FIVE children to come back with no problems at all. Her next comment was that the room was very small and they would all need to stand in the corner. Whatever.....at least she let them come back.

She did not engage us or the boys at all and didn't point out any body parts or anything about the baby. I just don't understand why you have a job like this where you interact with the public if you don't have a decent bedside manner. When we had seen her in the fall I could have guessed that maybe she was just having a bad day. Seems like all her days are bad if you ask me....

Anyways, the good news is that the kidneys looked great and no further action is needed. PRAISE the Lord!! We were thrilled to get that news.

Here's a picture of my sweet little guy's profile. Notice his fist up near his lips and his foot at the bottom of the screen. He always seems to have his feet and hands up by his face!

The technician asked if we knew the gender of the baby and I replied that we were told it was a boy. Grandma joked and asked if she could check to see if that was still the case. The technician moved the scanner to that area, looked for all of 2 seconds, and said that, "no, I can't see it". I guess we are just hoping they got it right at 20 weeks or we sure will be in for a shock on birth-day!
Here's one more picture of this sweet face. The foot is still right below his chin. The technician gave us very few pictures and didn't show the baby in 4-D (3-D with movement) at all. She basically would turn on the 3-D, snap a picture and turn it immediately off. She acted like we were lucky to get any pictures at all and that she wasn't guaranteeing anything. Unfortunately, I'm doubting they charge by the minute since we spent all of 10 minutes for the entire scan. At least that way we could save some money.

All in all, I'm overjoyed that we got to see Maverick and that he's healthy. I couldn't ask for more, although having a nicer technician would have made this experience more enjoyable and memorable for the family. Thanks for all the prayers and healing this little guy in utero.

1 comment:

Brandi Walker said...

God is good! So thrilled for you guys.

Not sure why the technician would want that job if she can't manage to deliver a smile occasionally.